Walnut/Cashew end of Summer Sandwich Spread
With an emphasis on health only what you eat, but also how it is prepared is important. This recipe is a delight to both palate and eye! Try it and let me know your thoughts.
Inspired by a recipe in The Healthy Raw Food Diet by Susanne Roth
- Mix and soak (4 hours or overnight):
- 1 cup raw unsalted walnuts and 2 cups of raw unsalted cashews
- Drain nuts just before blending. Then blend all ingredients in blender or food processor and refrigerate:
- 1 to 2 Tab. Flax oil (taste first to be sure it isn’t rancid. Flax should be kept refrigerated and used up within one month.)1 cup extra virgin olive oil (check smell and taste of olive oil also)2 to 3 cups of packed fresh basil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup water (more or less)
- 1 Tab lemon juice
- 1/3 cup of sundried tomatoes or more to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
Variations: You can use olives instead of tomatoes or red peppers instead of tomatoes. Add pine nuts as part of the soaked nuts.
Serve as dip or as sandwich spread.
Keep refrigerated and make only enough for two or three days.
Restaurants serving vegan, vegetarian and/or gluten free meals.
(Note: Sometimes it is on the menu, but sometimes you should ask. If you know of some we can add, let us know. )
Star of India facebook.com/starofindiawv
The Galley thegalleymarietta.com
Joe Momma’s Kitchen joemommaskitchen.com
Jeremiah’s Coffee House jeremiahscoffeehouse.com
740 Social: facebook.com/740-Social-103106584752890
Nonni’s Little Italian Kitchen facebook.com/NonnisLittleItalianKitchen
Unity Cafe unitycafepkb.com
Rubi’s Salad Haus facebook.com/rubissalad