Sometimes you just want something warm and soothing for an evening meal. Something that tastes rich and creamy, and homemade.
But honestly, who has time to slave over a hot stove, especially in the summertime?
Don’t worry — I’ve got just the ticket. Risotto. Risotto is super easy to make, is super versatile and can make just about any meal that much more memorable, be it lunch, dinner or an evening snack. Here is one of my favorite go-to risotto recipes. Please enjoy!
Easy Cheesy Chicken Risotto
- 4 pieces cooked chicken, shredded
- 3 cups cooked rice (Arborio rice if available, but if not, no worries)
- 4-1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Large saucepan
- Stirring spoon
- Serving dishes
1. Combine shredded chicken, butter and rice in a saucepan.
2. Pour milk over mixture so that the rice-chicken mixture is covered. Stir together well. You may have some milk left. This is fine.
3. Turn on a low-medium heat. Place the saucepan on the heat and continue to stir constantly and smoothly.
4. Be patient! After about 5-10 minutes of stirring, the mixture will begin to bubble and the rice will take on a more plump appearance. The whole mixture will begin to thicken somewhat. Make sure you keep stirring. If it looks like it is getting too thick, add some of the remaining milk if available.
5. After about 15 minutes, the mixture should be the consistency of smooth oatmeal. Once you reach this consistency, remove it from the heat.
6. Fold in your shredded cheese. Stir until throughly incorporated and melted.
7. Spoon into serving container and enjoy!
Like I said, one of the great things about risotto is that there are so many different variations. There are recipes for mushroom risotto, vegetable risotto, risotto with bacon and kale… the possibilities are really endless.
So why not do some experimentation of your own? Chances are you’ll like the result.